One of the more daring DIY projects that I ever took on was replacing the floor in our Guest Cottage. More specifically, painting the floor in our Guest Cottage. It's was a bold move that required a back up plan or a new rug at a minimum, but when all was said and done- neither was needed.The entire cottage went through some renovations - which I will share in a later post, but this is a before with the carpet and tile
And this is the after
I think the hardest part of this project was deciding on the color that I wanted the floor to be. Because it is a space that has windows only at the front and the back, I needed to bring in colors that would help to lighten the area. After ripping up the carpet and tile, the entire sub floor surface was cleaned.
I then painted a few squares on the floor to see if I would like what I picked out, after all, this was not a job that I saw myself doing again anytime real soon.
Once that was out of the way, I got to work by applying two coats of the beige color to the entire floor. I used Behr Porch and Patio paint due to its durability.
After that dried, I used a 2x2 piece of drywall as my template to draw my squares on the floor. The squares were painted with two coats of the off-white color.
I then went back to make any corrections and touch-ups before applying my finish coats ( I did 2) of Miniwax Polycrylic in Clear Semi-Gloss. I let this dry for several days before moving the furniture back into the room.
I like bold daring moves!
Hey- If you are not already, I would love it if you would follow me on twitter and Facebook for up to the minute updates. Just click on the icons in my sidebar to connect to my pages. Go ahead I dare you!!