Wednesday, June 26, 2013

"Stepping" Up the Patio

Creating additional lighting on the patio can be easier then you think if you are willing to" step it up" with a ladder and a few lanterns.
Although not intended to light the entire space, it's perfect if you are trying to create "mood" lighting while dining or entertaining.


I purchased most of the lanterns at Home Goods at exceptional prices. The other lanterns were one's that were already on hand.
Supplies needed
Flat wooden ladder
Jute rope
chain
anchors
eye bolt
lanterns
Step 1:
Layout the desired position of your lanterns first on your ladder.  The length of your ladder will determine the number of lanterns that you need.
Step 2:
Where on the ceiling do you want the ladder to hang? Once you figure that out, secure your eye hooks into your ceiling equal distance apart. I also used anchors because of the weight of the ladder and lanterns. Not a good thing if you are having dinner and a ladder comes down on your dessert!
Step 3:
Because I used jute rope to hang the ladder from the ceiling, I also wrapped the jute around the metal chain on the ceiling so that the look was consistent.

Step 4:
Level the ladder by adjusting the rope on each side. Once you determine that the ladder is level and secure, you can trim the ends of the rope off.
 Step 5:
Tie your lanterns on with the jute. I used varying lengths of rope with each lantern. I also used battery operated candles in each lantern.

The lanterns really create a focal point in an already fabulous space.
And although I wish I could take credit for this beautiful patio, I can only take credit for this project. The patio belongs to my twin sister.
Grateful for~
A sister who lets me exercise my creative juices while at her house

Sharing at~

Want Top This Top That delivered directly to your inbox?
It’s easy!  Just enter your e-mail address.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner





;">

36 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea. Now, if only I had a ceiling outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Laura...this looks over the top FAB!!!!!! What a great idea and I see a touch of that beautiful blue we both seem to be craving lately! : ) I LOVE this and it looks AMAZING...heads will turn for sure. Hanging them from the ladder is sheer brilliance...5 stars out of 4 my friend!!!! hugs and have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun and creative idea. I love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome idea, Laura... that looks so cute... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a creative idea. Only The Best at Top...
    Thank you for sharing and inspiring,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very eclectic!! I'm a sucker for ladders in decor. :)
    xo Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this eclectic look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While everyone else is ooohing and ahhhhing over the actual cuteness of the lantern ladder, I'm gonna give you the Bliss A+ award for clever wording, you know, the stepping up the step ladder.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness!! Love, love, love!!! Very creative and it looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your patio is gorgeous Laura, I LOVE this idea!!

    xo, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea, Laura. Looks great..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a super idea and a fantastic look!!
    I pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura- That is just a really, really cute idea! I love how it turned out- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks fantastic! I wish I had a ceiling on my deck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome! I never would have thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very charming idea...I could use this on my covered porch! :) Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looove it! So original :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super, super idea Laura!!...I was thinking...hmmm, I have never seen that patio of yours...but then discovered it was your sister's...of course you both have the same elegant taste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful! I love it!

    Therena @ littlebitofpaint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cool statement piece!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this!! Such a cool idea, the blue and the white ceramic with the cut outs are my faves. Featuring tomorrow if thats ok.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Laura, this is so creative and very very lovely!!! You chose an amazing assortment of lanters! They make quite a striking statement!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't know you had a twin sister! How neat. That is really a cute idea. I like the rustic look of the ladder hanging by rope and the ability to hang anything from it is so nice. I bet it looks pretty at night all lit up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Laura, this is such a clever idea. It really came together beautifully. I bet the night time glow is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super cute idea, Laura!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  26. Laura, this is incredible...I have something just like this pinned....LOVE IT...best post this weekend!!! Newest follower....Christine from Little Brags
    http://littlebrags.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want to sit on your patio a bit~so welcoming! We are building a pergola, so I won't need the ladder, but I will borrow your idea to hang the lanterns!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Laura!! I love this idea. What a great way to re-purpose and old ladder.

    xoxo
    Denyse

    glitterglueandpaint@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this idea! Featuring it today on my Friday Favorites post :)
    ~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures
    http://upcycledtreasures.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. that looks amazing Laura, I am so glad to have found your blog through you finding mine!

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those look interesting. Keep posting.

    Shella
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete

What's Up!! Thanks for your comment. For those who are not a blogger or on G+, After you type your comment..... click on the drop down box that says "Comment As" and select "Name/URL". There you can enter your full name, or just your first name ... Just put something in there. You can leave the URL box blank. Click continue and then click post comment.