Monday, August 19, 2013

Painting a Kitchen Backsplash....and loving it!

For a professional "non-professional " painter I have a pretty extensive resume. From floors to furniture to cabinets I thought I had done it all.... until my kitchen backsplash that is.
Wanting an interim solution ( the goal is to eventually do subway tile) to update the tile and not wanting to spend a dollar to do it, I painted my tumbled stone backsplash. And I love it!  This was a step in trying to brighten the kitchen. You can read about my quest here. 
Here is my original tumbled stone backplash. When we first designed  the kitchen 11 years ago the backsplash worked with my dark red and gold color scheme.  Then a couple of years ago when the color on the walls was getting lighter, I put a color wash over it to brighten it up, that's on the right.
And then recently wanting to step it up and brighten it even more, this is the comparison with the white.  The white makes the backsplash look much cleaner as well. While I was painting, I used a soft paint brush to minimize lines and brush marks.  
And here is the finished backsplash.

This is the kitchen backsplash before~


 And after painted~
 

Never in my "non-professional" painting career did I think that I would be painting my backsplash. But who knew that a coat of primer and 2 coats of semi-gloss paint in white could give me the results that I was looking for .......for now anyways.

PS- What's the latest thing you have painted or want to paint?
Grateful for~ 
a nice lazy weekend with my family

Want Top This Top That delivered directly to your inbox?
It’s easy!  Just enter your e-mail address.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


26 comments:

Dawn said...

What a huge difference. It sure brightened up the space. Good for you, getting a new look without the cost:)

Suzy Handgraaf said...

That's a great idea, Laura, and it looks fantastic! I would soooo love to get rid of my brown backsplash.

Jessica Kielman said...

It looks amazing, Laura!!! Absolutely gorgeous!

Calypso In The Country said...

Gotta love primer! Nice job!
-Shelley

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Never would have thought of that, but it looks amazing. I love it. I would love for you to link this up to Inspire Me this afternoon. www.astrollthrulife.net Hugs, marty

michelle said...

Your backsplash looks great! I actually painted a hideous (baby-blue) tile floor in our powder room several years ago, using concrete floor paint. I painted the entire floor white, then with a foam roller added black for a checkerboard pattern. Slow work, but what a difference!

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

What a great idea. A cost effective transition that looks wonderful to boot.

Bliss said...

Laura, that's fantastic. What a great low cost update. I can't say that I would like brand new subway tile any better than how this turned out.

Miss Charming said...

I love the white, Laura. So bright and pretty!

Mary Clark said...

Looks fabulous, so bright and clean and ... bright!

Refresh Renew said...

oh my goodness...what a difference! it looks so clean an fresh! good for you to attempt painting tile! I would never have thought of that!-aimee

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

Wow. It looks so fresh! I admire your courage to just go for it.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I LOVE IT Laura!! I was so happy to see this post. I'm planning on painting our laundry room when the kids go back to school and I have tumbled stone half way up on one wall in there and plan on painting white to brighten up the space. Love how great yours turned out...now I can't wait to do mine!!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Now THAT is amazing! Huge step toward brightening things up, Laura!
xo Heidi

Becca said...

Love it, Laura! Your tiles look perfect painted white and I love how your beautiful cabinets pop against it!

Eclectically Vintage said...

I had tumbled marble in my last house - if I still lived there, I would do this to banish it!!
Kelly

Cynthia said...

That looks great!! If you back track on my blog I did our kitchen tiles a few years before we just sold our home. Everyone loved it and you can look under kitchen backsplash done on a budget. I did a unique finish.

Cynthia

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wow, what a difference. You are braver than me painting that.

reFresh reStyle said...

Beautiful! It looks so good!
Debbie

NanaDiana said...

That turned out great, Laura. It really does brighten the kitchen up. Love it! I really need to paint my laundry room but am dreading the whole process- xo Diana

Doreen@househoneys said...

Proof positive that pretty much anything can be painted. It's great when we can get such a big bang for our buck! It really brightens up the space and goes nicely with the wall color too.

Pamela said...

Wow Laura it looks wonderful! You are brave. I do not think I could have brought myself to paint our tile. It certainly does brighten everything up.

Becky Murphy said...

Very nice - the white did make the kitchen brighter! I'm getting ready to use barnwood for a back splash. It's from my mother's 80 year old barn. We've found many ways to use it....but I thought a backsplash would be awesome. Wish me luck.

Laura @ Our Prairie Home said...

Oh wow! What a difference! It looks great, Laura! I know you are so enjoying the lighter, brighter look!

Vel Criste said...

Looks great! Linking back from Savvy Southern Style

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I never knew you could paint tile!!!...Looks fabulous!!!!

Post a Comment

What's Up!! Thanks for your comment. For those who are not a blogger or on G+, After you type your comment..... click on the drop down box that says "Comment As" and select "Name/URL". There you can enter your full name, or just your first name ... Just put something in there. You can leave the URL box blank. Click continue and then click post comment.